Thursday, October 27, 2011

Autumn Color Studies

I take it back. Yesterday I complained about the lack of autumn color. It's still not as good as other years, but it's out there. I went to Norrie State Park, Staatsburg, NY to find color in the tangle, and I did.

The trick, at least for me, is to choose an overcast day like yesterday. To the eye, not a pretty day.  But it has the great advantage of even light -- on a sunny bright day, you lose color in highlights (which go white)  and shadows (which go dark).

The other trick -- keep out the sky.  The eye goes to the area of greatest contrast.  If there were a sky above these trees, the eye would keep going to it, and I want you to spend time in the detail.


To see more of my work, check out my gallery, www.riverwindsgallery.com or my website, www.maryannglass.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment