Sunday, April 15, 2012

Image of the Day: Orvieto Cathedral Interior

Interior, Orvieto Cathedral

Our first day in Italy during our Intuitive Italy Workshop will be in Orvieto, a fantastic city built on a tufa mound, particularly well-known for its spectacular cathedral.  I took this photo while standing near the entrance.
According to one of my guidebooks, the cylindrical columns consist of alternate rows of travertine and basalt. The windows are panes of alabaster.  In the lower right corner you can see the top of a large marble baptisimal font with lions and elaborate frieze reliefs. It is overlooked by a beautiful fresco, the "Madonna Enthroned with Child", painted by Gentile da Fabriano in 1425.  I can hardly wait to get back there!

For more information about the workshop, please feel free to contact me or check out more details on my website. www.maryannglass.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment