Sunday, February 27, 2011

Looking Up

Ceilings are always worth spending some time with in Tuscan churches. This particular one - I think it was in Bologna -- makes marvelous use of trompe l'oeil.  The detail is painted on.  And in the center is a graceful dove.


The easiest way to take this kind of shot, I find, is to stabilize the camera by placing it on the floor or on a pew or railing and point it upwards.  It's a bit of a Hail Mary approach as you can't really look through the viewfinder, but that doesn't bother me much.  And I experiment a bit, move the camera around,  to find out if I prefer to have the dove in the center or off center.  In this case, I liked the framing element of the dome.

The image, like all others on the blog or on my website, is for sale. An 11x14 image with a mat whose outside measures 16x20 is $95.  Other sizes are availalbe.

And if you would like to join us on a photo tour of Tuscany and Sorrento in September, you can read more about it on my website, www.maryannglass.com or on www.arthistoryalive.com

No comments:

Post a Comment