Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Road Trip: Dutchess and Columbia Counties

I woke up Memorial Day and knew it was time to get out of Dodge.  So I got in my car and headed north.  A good road trip needs a goal -- I was going to go to Millerton and buy some books at the bookstore there, and then to East Chatham to one of my favorite stores, Classic Country.
It was a perfect early summer day.
First stop- McEnroe's Farm Market, just outside Amenia.  They have organic everything - fruits, veggies, meats.  They has set up a grill outside, the blackboard said "Our Own" so I got that classic organic meal -- bratwurst and sauerkraut on a hot dog bun.  And organic ice tea.  Delicious.  Cannot go to a nursery without buying plants for the garden.
Got frilly white snapdragons and red salvia.  Always swore I would never ever buy red salvia.  But there it is.
On to Millerton.
The town hall was decked out for the holiday.
Walked through the town.  Looked into the shops.  Bought a couple of mysteries.  Moving on.
Photo taken with one hand, driving with the other.
I stopped to take this photo.
Very small town hall.
Beautiful church across the square.  Erected 1771.  With an old cemetery.

Finally got to Classic Country.  Closed early for the holiday.  No big deal.  On the road again.
On the road again.  Saw this sign. "National Beauty Award Highway 1969."   Had to drive down the road.
Uh, it was nice...looked like the rest of Columbia County that I had been driving through.
And then a hunt for the Taconic and the drive home.  That's Sophie on the sidewalk to greet me.

No comments:

Post a Comment