Monday, February 27, 2012

Image of the Day: Flying Angel, Montelfalco, Italy

Flying Angel, Monefalco, Umbria
This has always been one of my favorite images from one of my Italian trips.  For one thing, I can't resist gilded stuff -- bright shiny things always attract me...and of course, it's an angel.  This statue is in a small, not famous for anything, church in Montefalco.  Montefalco is best known for its wine.  The town itself arranges itself around a small piazza, rather run-down when we were there, but there's magic everywhere in Italy.  In addition to wine, the town is best know for a fresco cycle in San Francesco, the main church, by Benozzo Gozzoli, a pupil of Fra Angelica.  When we were there, the fresco was covered with scaffolding, but they had set it up so one could climb the scaffolding and see glimpses of the paintings.  Wonderful.

If you want to spend a fabulous week in Italy this summer, please feel free to contact me or check out information on my website, www.maryannglass.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment