Saturday, February 25, 2012

Image of the Day: Olive Tree Daphne

Olive tree in Umbria, Italy
The moment I saw this olive tree, I thought of Daphne.  According to the Greek myth, Daphne is being pursued by Apollo.  Wishing to remain a virgin, she prays for help to the gods and is transformed into a laurel: "a heavy numbness seized her limbs, thin bark closed over her breasts, her hair turned into leaves, her arms into branches, her feet so swift a moment ago stuck fast in slow-growing roots, her face was lost in the canopy. Only her shining beauty was left."   translation by A. S. Kline, 2000]  To be honest, I have no clear idea what a laurel tree looks like, but I maintain this olive tree looks like Daphne.

Some times a "back story" makes an image come alive, and assists the photographer in figuring out the most evocative angle, cropping and color story.  This summer, during our Intuitive Italy Workshop, Linda Richichi and I will be encouraging painters and photographers to find their own back stories, making their images joyous and powerful.  For more information about the workshop, check out my website, www.maryannglass.com.   Or just email me at shotglassphoto@aol.com.

1 comment: