Sunday, April 10, 2011

Persephone's Portfolio: Echinacea

I spent part of today outside, getting the garden ready for the spring awakening.  Daffodil and tulip bulbs and the peonies are pushing through the earth.  Which brings me to Persephone.  According to Greek myths, Persephone was kidnapped by Hades, the god of the Underworld.  She was the daughter of Demeter, the earth goddess.  Demeter and Hades came eventually to a compromise:  Persephone would spend half the year with her mother on earth -- marked by Spring, with the earth coming alive -- and the other half of the year in the underworld -- marking winter, when the earth goes dormant.

I named a series of flower photographs Persephone's Portfolio because I imagined these images might be  Persephone's memory of flowers during her half year underground.  I know -- kinda fanciful, but it works for me.

This image was taken in color and then taken through a few Photoshop manipulations to give it a softer, dreamier feel, but with a dark undertone.

This image -- as well as any other in this blog or on my website is available through my website www.maryannglass.com or at my gallery, www.riverwindsgallery.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment