Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tower of Sant'Antimo

The Rhinebeck Savings Bank branch in Beacon -- on 9d, near Dutchess Stadium -- has since its opening opened up its walls to local artists. Tomorrow I'll be hanging some of my Italy portfolio there.  This will be among the images I'll be showing.
This tower is part of Sant' Antimo, a beautiful Benedictine monastery tucked into the lanscape, near Montalcino (which is south of Siena).  If you are in the area, this is a must-see.  It was built in the 12th century in a soft, creamy stone.  The abbey is maintained by a small group of French Cistercians -- it is worth visiting when they are performing Gregorian chants.

I took lots of photos while I was there, but this one is my favorite.  It shows some of the Romanesque detail, but without the cypress tree it wouldn't be anything more than a snapshot.  This is an example of when you forget the Rule of Thirds for the composition;  the image lives on symmetry and putting the strongest element smack in the center.

This image -- along with others in this blog, on my website, www.maryannglass.com or at my gallery, www.riverwindsgallery.com - are for sale in any size.

Join us in Tuscany and Sorrento this fall - September 18-25  -- for a fabulous photo tour, eating tour, siteseeing tour.  For more information, check out my website, www.maryannglass.com or www.arthistoryalive.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment